Saturday, February 04, 2006

AkaiGawa (ehh...Red River...I think...^_^)

So, It's been a little while, sorry for all thoes who have to check my sight every day....(.....as if). But, there is a good reason. I went to a village called AkaiGawa. After I got back, I have been studying for test. In fact, I should be studying right now, but I am taking a break hehe.

Anyways, AkaiGawa was great, it is a small little village of about 1000 people I think...maybe a lil more. It is built in the mountains and is VERY beautifull. I defenately plan on going back in the summer on my bike! OH YAH!!! AkaiGawa is south of Otaru and it takes about 2 hours to get there by bus from Sapporo. It has...well, I guess 3 famous things...Melons, Milk, and A SKI RESORT! Oh, I got it, I got it, for thoes of you who live in Alaska, just think of Girdwood.

So, the milk was absolutely delicious, best milk I ever had. It tasted like it was directly straight out of the cow. The icecream was also great!! Then, there is the ski slope! It really enjoyed it. It is defenately not as steep as I am used to, like Alyeska or something, but had some really good parts. The best thing is all the snow. There was a lot of powder, and places you could snowboard down inbetween trees and stuff. It was great. Twords the bottom of the mountain there was also a Jump area, so, I really enjoyed myself.

I also got to be a hero!! Yay. In one deficult section of the moutain I saw a woman, who I thought was Japanese, in...well destress. Her skis were pointing in opposite directions, and polls were scattered everywhere. So, I asked her if she was ok in Japanese, which she didn't understand so I tried english and that worked well enough. Turns out she was Chinese (hard to tell with goggles and all that). It also turns out that she had almost no clue how to ski, and was on one the the most difficult areas. But, sense I don't know much about how to teach people how to ski, my Japanese friends would tell her what to do, and I would translate. It worked out pritty well, and in about 30 mintues she was able to get to the bottom of the montain.

I was also quite impressed with the kids we went skiing with. They were all really good. I guess that is what happens when you live in a town like that. Even though the kids were like 6-12 they could do just about anything, so I had a good time with them.

I also got to go to a few different schools. One of the school is where the kids I skiied with went to. It was really neat to see Japanese education and all that. Defenately different I think from what you might find in America.

So, hopefully, you guys will be able to click on these pictures this time.....but, because of that reason alone, they aren't really going to be in any order...sorry. So, here is one of the classrooms I went too. Interesting eh?

This is Day 2, of Skiing. Towards the top of the mountain. Day 1, near the bottom.....ughh.
Making Mochi (Crushed, sweentend rice)!! YUMMM!!! The woman in the back was my host mother. Anyways, the mochi was great, but I think I at too much.

Som of the kids put on a Taiko Drum Preformacne for us. I love Taiko. But you have to be there and feel it to understand what it is like.....so loud!
We also got to stop at a firestation....beleive me, that truck is smaller then it looks.

6 Comments:

At 8:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nick GREAT Pictures and veeery informative!!! Thanks!!

 
At 12:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

See you got to do a little "pounding", too. It is pretty exciting seeing and hearing about you adventures...

 
At 5:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damnit some one else used the pounding comment before I could.!

Well anyways bro awesome sight keep up the work and the good pictures!

Love,
Kris

 
At 8:24 PM, Blogger Nobodyhearsyou said...

ARGGGG!! That will haunt me for the rest of my Life.

Anyways, yah, the Mochi is really good, if you guys ever get the chance, please make some and eat it! YUM!!

 
At 9:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carol would be interested in seeing the Japanese fire trucks!! I want chocolate Mochi!!!

 
At 12:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

cool to see different method of pounding. Sarah's pounding of millet was with long pole.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home