Friday, January 06, 2006

NEW YEARS

Ok, so for New years I went to Kaori's house and had a big new years dinner there. It was a different experience. The day before 30/31 they make a bunch of special food just for new years. Then on 31/1 they eat and relax all day. In fact, almost everything is closed and the whole town feels kind of liek a ghost town because everyone is spending time with there family. But at night, many young people went to Odori Park and counted down at a concert type deal. It was fun. I went there with some friends of mine. After the countdown, we all went to the Hokkaido Shrine (castle shrine). Japanese tradition is to go the the shrine, thrown in a bunch of money and pray about the new year. It was amazing to see how many people were there. I was really surprised. Afterwords, we went to this bazaar type thing next to the shrine. They had sooooo much good food. We tried to stop at every stand and eat something. Unfortunately, I ran out of batteries on my camera and didn't really take any pictures of that...anyways, here are the other pics:

This is what we put the special Japanese New Years food in...why I don't know....oh yah, because it's pretty!
This is what the inside looks like!!! I WANT TO EAT IT!!!!!And here is the food we are setting up getting ready to eat!! I LOVE SUSHI HERE!! IT SOOO GOOD!!!!! TABETAI!!!!!!!!!! Oh yah, hehehe, we made it ourselves...(I wound up putting too much wasabi in some of them)...ugh..And here is everything all ready to eat!!! It was DELECIOUS!!! I ate a LOT of food!! and it was pretty too right?!?! heheh.So, after the coundown at Odori Park (which I got no good pictures of, sorry) we headed to the Shrine, here is the subway station we started at....huh...guess everyone else had the same idea eh??? SURPIRSE SURPRISE!!Inside the train....arn't Japanese frindly?Some of us inside the train. Yah, Japanese, English, Russian(?), and even someone from Egypt...can you tell who is from Egypt!! I'll give you one guess! *hint: Its not the big Japanese looking guy*We Finally made it to the fron't of the shrine and got to wait in the wonderfull...umm...line? It was actually fun...there were guards at the fron't and they would let a big group go, and then stop the rest of the people and then let a big group go....etc...it was like playing redlight green light!! I WON!!Behind us.........sorry for the blurry pic, I wanted the light so you could see all the other peeps.At the shrine, throwing money, praying, buying good look charms, fortunes, and whatever else.And, looking back from inside the shrine, you can see the line and the guard.....GREEN LIGHT!

7 Comments:

At 10:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Somebodyhearsyou
Hey, it's a great Blog!
Lots of special new years foods, that's I miss. Everything is good in Hokkaido! Kaori's mother is such a good cook. I want to eat,too!
My friend sent us MOCHI and beautiful KIMONO from Japan. It was not good as home made but I appreciate. I wish I wear Kimono before mother use for Quilt, here is no shrine:-<

I will visit here and read more again. Thank you for your great Hokkaido information!

 
At 12:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey dude! You are a Japanophile! How did that happen?
If there is a temple with spring time Doboroku festival, don't miss that. They also have beard contests. You might win that, in addition to red-light green light.
Have you noticed that your snowmachine isn't in front of your house? Well, Chie and Joe have it stuck in the over-flow at Caribou Lake!
Ha ha! OK, not really. But your buddies miss you. Your machine misses you, too. But no snow to mention, short of the pass.
I will ride my bicycle from Santa Monica to Florida before I return to Oita in the spring. You can measure my progress at www.herrtangle.com and I begin Feb.1

Joe

 
At 11:07 PM, Blogger Nobodyhearsyou said...

A Japanophile? Is that a good thing? Anyways, yah, I miss my buds, and my snowmachine too! LOL.
So, your trip sounds like it will be a lot of fun. Have a great time!!!

Chie, did I tell you that yesterday was that...なんとか。。。girls day. It was awsome, all girls of 20 years of age were wearing absolutely beuatifull Kimono`s. Kimono`s are soooo pretty!

 
At 8:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy New Year and have a great year and eat lots of good food go skiing etc. Dont buy clothes :)

 
At 8:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great pictures!!

 
At 12:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome New Years. Sure miss you
We will be burning the Christmas tree when Jay come home on break in Feb..Should be a bit more exciting since we are going to trim the tree with firecrackers that were not used New Years.

 
At 6:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great pictures veeeeery informative of the culture and life there.
THanks!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home